Home > Art > 3D Design Tips >
Making a Collision Model
Posted Jul 3, 2009
Last Updated Nov 12, 2011
Making a collision model for Valve Source in 3ds Max is fairly simple once you are familiar with the requirements. The video tutorial here demonstrates the basics of making a collision model.
A basic list of requirements for making a collision model follows:
- The collision model should be a single mesh.
- Each element in the mesh should be a single convex piece of geometry.
- Although the elements should match the general shape of the full model, the polygon count should be kept very low.
- Each element needs to have a unique smoothing group applied to it.
- The whole model needs to have a material that has a Bitmap in the Diffuse map (even though the collision model is never rendered).
The video failed to mention that each element should be convex.
Also see Convexity.
- Collision Models
Articles on making a collision hull for the Source Game Engine with 3ds Max.
- SMD Collision Mesh Tool
- Making a Collision Model
- Wall Worm Model Tools
- Related Topics